Hello! I’m back! I really don’t have a reason for my absence, I’m just lazy (See post about Snuggie and Food Network!)
Anyways, recently people keep asking me about kids or saying that I’d be a good mother (or a not so good one). So before anyone else starts commenting on my maternal nature or the fact that because I ask about a toy at a store I must be shopping for my kids, read over this list. Remember nothing is set in stone but this is how I feel right now.
- First of all, I’m only 18 and no I did not get knocked up in high school.
- Childbirth. Ow.
- I don’t handle being sick very well and vomiting every morning (no matter how much I’ll “glow”) is just not for me
- I don’t have the patience needed to raise a child
- I’m scared I won’t be able to raise a child who turns out alright, or who I like as a person
- I don’t agree with so much of the school system and I can’t imagine sending someone I love through that.
- In regards to number 6, I will never homeschool. How are they supposed to learn social skills??
- I will probably force my child into gymnastics or horseback riding. And they will probably join the circus. (The things I wish I did!)
- The world is a cruel place and as a parent you can only protect your child from so much.
- My kid might not have the no-care attitude and tough skin I had, that’s needed to deal with bullies and other girls.
- Technology is a terrible, scary thing
- I want to travel and move around a lot. I can’t picture doing that with a child who needs friends, an education, and stability.
- I was an easy teenager, but what if my child isn’t?
- I don’t want to be an old mom, or a single mom.
- I’ve looked after my siblings and other people’s kids more than enough.
- I really only want one child but that’s not fair to the kid. Growing up with siblings is fun and important, but I’d rather spoil one child. I also don’t think I could deal with everyone asking me when I’ll have another one.
- Girls are catty. Boys are difficult.
- Too many gender stereotypes.
- Our world is not accepting enough to just accept pure love without labels.
Maybe some day I’ll write a list on why I want children, but this is how I feel right now. Not everyone wants the traditional marriage and family. Family means something different to everyone. And besides, I’m sure I’ll make a damn good aunt!